Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Not That You Asked

I was all set to complain about the EEG today; the instructions for the procedure clearly state that you should not allow your child to sleep the full night and that they should want a bottle during the procedure. So, they want your child to show up cranky and hungry. Charlie, however, took a nap in the car on the way over and was in a GREAT mood. It was our best EEG yet although they didn't get any recordings of him sleeping.

I tried to discern something from the squiggly lines, but I'm no doctor. The tech raised one eyebrow once, but other than that she was stone-faced. Someone will call me in a few days after the epileptologist reads it.

So, rather than complain (since I don't have any complaining to do), I'm going to talk about Miley Cyrus' picture on the cover of Vanity Fair.

Here's my opinion: It's a picture of a clearly topless fifteen-year-old girl. Rather than blame the girl, let's blame the photographer. I know that Annie Leibovitz is supposed to be a big deal and everything, but shame on her. You don't take pictures of fifteen-year-old girls without their shirts on. It's that simple. Maybe Miley was OK with it and maybe she wasn't. Point is, she's not at the age of consent. She's not even really at an age where she can draw the line between "art" and exploitation. From what I've read, even parental consent doesn't allow someone to take nude photos of a minor. There were about a gazillion photo people there and SOMEONE should have stepped up and said, "she not eighteen, you can't legally do this." I bet Vanity Fair has a lawyer on staff--didn't anyone think that about this? It might be a beautiful photo (personally, I don't think it is, but I'm no photographer), but that doesn't make it OK to take pictures of young girls without their clothes on. If this wasn't a famous girl and this wasn't a famous photographer than this would be an issue for the police. Instead, people are asking Miley and Annie to give quotes about the photo. For crying out loud, she is fifteen and a very reputable photographer asked her to do things to get on the cover of Vanity Fair. If that isn't manipulation of a minor then I don't know what is.

My two cents.

PS: I've got new pictures on Flickr and a new video on Youtube. Let me just say, the Youtube video has me with wet hair and in my sleeping clothes. I didn't know that I would be in the video too. Just try to ignore my heinous appearance and focus on the baby.