Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Seriously Effing Disturbed

I was just prowling around on Facebook when I saw a group entitled Speak English or Get Out. Sadly, this group was founded by someone who attended LSU, but there were people like this is Arkansas too.

All I can say is this:

  1. Just because someone speaks Spanish, that doesn't mean that they can't speak English. My grandmother spoke three languages: Spanish, English, and French. My father speaks Spanish and English.
  2. What's the big deal about Spanish? I don't see people losing their minds when people start conversing in Vietnamese or Hindi or French.
  3. No one is talking about you. I hear this all the time, and all I can say is get the F over yourself. Just because someone is speaking another language, it doesn't mean that they're commenting on you shoes or whatever. You're not Brad Pitt or Katie Holmes--most people just don't care.

The saddest part was that this group had been joined by a lot of foreign nationals who were hoping to improve their English skills--they didn't get that the group was derogatory.