Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm So Productive

What She Wore: bright green, empire-waist, v-neck shirt with a white and navy blue stripe under the bust; dark wash blue jean capris; navy and white striped espadrilles. These weren't the most practical shoes for a trip to the hospital, but dammit I was felt like wearing something cute.

What She Ate: Serrano's Salsa Company for lunch. Enchiladas, of course. Stouffer's turkey and stuffing for dinner.

Now that we've finished with the yucky medicine, Charlie is back on the doctor circuit. Today we had a ultrasound done of his kidneys and next week we'll visit the nephrologist and see how they're looking. Wednesday we meet with the pediatric physiatrist, and I still have to schedule appointments with his neurologist and opthamologist. I also want to set up an appointment with a new neurosurgeon because I hate that he is currently being seen by whoever is available at the current location. I've gotten a recommendation and I'm going to go ahead and see someone at a different hospital.


But this is practical stuff and who cares about all that when there's fluff to worry about?
I bought a new rug for my entryway. It's not at all what I was looking for, but the Middle Eastern man who sold it to me convinced me to try it, and I'm glad he did. It's not my usual colors, but I think it looks good and I've already found out that it hides dog vomit excellently. This is good because my nervous puppy has a tendency to yak whenever things get too exciting. And by exciting I mean that someone turned on the vacuum cleaner. I wish I was kidding about this.




I also made some decisions about my dining room chairs although I haven't actually made a lot of progress. I put both of the chairs I like around the kitchen table and it became pretty clear that we were going to have to go with the cane backs. They were just so much more comfortable. I found this super-cool fabric and so far I've managed to halfway cover one cushion. I've run out of upholstery staples and it's a half-hour drive to Hobby Lobby, so the project is at a stand-still in the meantime. I think I'm going to leave the chair the wood color because it looks good in the room, but I am considering gilding the little shell at the top.



I've also decided that the theme for Charlie's first birthday will be Pigs. This might sound a little crazy, but hear me out. Charlie was born in the year of the pig. He was also born in Arkansas, which is the home of the Razorbacks (a mean pig). This is a state where calling the hogs is considered De rigour when people visit from out of town. Honestly, I found it a little scary (500 people screaming "pig soie!" at a teacher's conference would scare anyone), but I'm from the South so obsessions with SEC teams is something I'm familiar with.

So back to the party. I'm thinking BBQ, pigs in a blanket, bandannas, etc. Kind of a farm thing with a focus on pigs. I'll give you all the cheesy updates as I come up with stuff.

So there you go. Not so much doing, but a lot of planning, and frankly, that's a lot more fun than housework.