Saturday, February 9, 2008

Day Twenty-Two--The Hallway

What She Wore: Blue jeans; gray mary jane-type shoes; two-tone orange polo with three-quarter-length sleeves.

What She Ate: Half a roast beef sandwich and a caesar salad from this new local place that just opened up. It's in a restored old house and it's really cute.


I'm just going to come right out and say that hallways suck. They are the black holes of decorating. Next up on my house list is to attack that hallway--that means I have to figure out what I want to do to the thing. In college, I started decorating my hallway with plastic box frames with pictures inside. It was pretty freakin' classy. I got those babies at Walmart and they cost about $1.50 a frame. This carried me through until I moved to Arkanasas. In Arkansas, I got all fancy and I put pictures in black frames with white mats. I had some in singles and some in triple frames.




So, here I am in the new house. I have a long, narrow hallway. On the left I've got an ugly brown air conditioning vent and the AC control box. On the right I've got an ugly brown closet. I've also got some crap on the floor, but it will get picked up eventually (I hope). I think they make metal spray paint so I may have to investigate that for the air conditioning vent. Anybody ever used metal spray paint? The closet trim and door will eventually get painted, so I'm just going to have to wait on that.



I know I can't just put up the stuff I had an Arkansas on these walls--most of the pictures are kind of old, and some of them are a walk down memory lane that's not as happy as it once was. Plus, there are no pictures of Charlie. I bought a couple of different frames with the idea that I would do a colorful montage, but I couldn't really find enough that I liked. I like colorful, and my colors always end up being red, yellow and blue. I try new things, but I always end up back there. I bought new, larger black frames with white mats. I bought a million little copper frames that I thought I might arrange in a big rectangle. I have frames coming out of my hiney.







Do I even want to put up a bunch of pictures? I found this great picture of a wall of mirrors and I thought it looked pretty good--and different.




I also wondered about the walls. The wall on the right could be painted an accent color or I could add some faux molding. I just don't know what I want to do.

So, what are you doing in you hallway? Have any thoughts on the wall o'pictures that's a standard in many homes? Do you think a funky color or molding or both might be the way to go? Give me your thoughts--quite frankly, I don't have any (or maybe I have too many).