Monday, February 18, 2008

Adventures in Pop Culture

What She Wore: Uhhhhh. . . running pants, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. AGAIN! I'm trying to exercise a little, so that's why I'm wearing grubbies so often.

What She Ate: Actually, not much. The Hub is bringing home fixins for turkey sandwiches, but there isn't much in the house.

I didn't realize I was being so controversial, but I've had two family members bring it up, so I thought I'd share it with the Internet.

The Hub and I have decided not to get cable. We've gone about three months without it, and we're not really missing it all that much. Instead, we've decided to get a Netflix account. That's about thirty dollars cheaper than basic cable, and about sixty dollars cheaper than the plan we had in Arkansas that had a couple of movie channels.

So far, I'm having a blast. I love to watch TV shows on DVD, so I decided to rent a show I had never seen before, but that I'd heard a lot about: Dawson's Creek. I know, I know, cheesey teen drama and all that, but I like cheesey teen drama. Plus, some pretty big-name actors and actresses came off of that show, so I thought I'd check it out. So far, I've watched the first season and it wasn't too bad. I didn't LOVE it the way I do Sex and the City or Friends, but it's a nice distraction and interesting enough. Now that I think of it, Friends best season was five (IMO), and SATC really got better each year, so maybe The Creek will get better.

The best part, however, is how I am completely corrupting my husband. My husband hates pop culture, listens to NPR, likes to read non-fiction and watch independent movies. He spends his spare time reading Libertarian political commentary. He can't stand it when I read celebrity gossip. But. . . the other day I came home and caught him watching an episode of Dawson's Creek. I'm not saying he enjoyed it, but it was the only thing in the house, so he started watching it. Hilarious. Next up, we're going to do a couple of Sundance movies, and then on to season two of The Creek.

So, are we crazy, because I'm fine with this, but my brother's girlfriend called it an abomination. Are we off our rockers?