Friday, May 16, 2008

One of THOSE Days

One of those days. We all have them. Here's mine:

Today, at lunch, my uncle removed the cooked zucchini from his plate and put it on his bread plate--because he doesn't eat cooked vegetables. For reasons that are completely stupid, this annoyed the crap out of me. I informed him that it was bad manners. Never mind how egregious it is to comment on someone else's manners.


No fewer than five people in the restaurant commented that Charlie was sleepy and by the end of lunch I was storming out of there. He did, in fact, sleep through all of lunch, but why in the name of Caesar can't people just shut the hell up and not talk to me? I don't come up to you and say that the diet doesn't appear to be working. I don't point out the bags under your eyes or the glaring roots. DO ME THE SAME COURTESY. One of these days I'm gonna snap and yell, "no, actually, he's not sleepy--he has major brain damage and cerebral palsy and vision problems to boot--WANNA TALK ABOUT THAT?" Sense a little tension?

In the car on the way home I was singing Montgomery Gentry's song Lucky Man full blast. I got to the verse, "had a close call last spring" and choked up. I had to stop singing.

And finally, I got an update on a baby that was in the hospital with Charlie. He had to have a Heart catheterization done (standard follow-up in his case), and his mom sent an update and pictures. In one of the pictures he's sitting in a toy car and smiling at the camera. I just lost it. I started sobbing and couldn't stop. This woman has had three children who can walk and who look at her and smile. It just didn't seem fair.

I would say that 90% of the time I feel extremely blessed and lucky and happy. Then I have days like this. I guess you just gotta let the tears fall sometimes.