Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Is It Just Me?

I've been increasing Charlie's solid food recently. It's like something clicked in him developmentally, and he's been eating all kind of table foods. We bought a food mill so that we could grind up the foods we were eating to a good consistency, but not everything we eat is baby appropriate--I think he's a little young for enchilada sauce. He's pretty proficient at eating macaroni and cheese, cheetos, and some cooked vegetables on his own, but yesterday he actually projected carrots across the room, so we're not going to try that again this week!

So, today I'm cruising around Walmart (dangerous), looking for baby-friendly food, when I see Gerber Graduates Meals. These little meals look great--a little pasta, a little meat, and some vegetables. No preservatives either, which I love. Only one problem--you have to microwave them. You can't put them in the oven. Call me crazy, but if I'm going to buy my child a nutrious meal with no preservatives, what makes them think I want to radiate it? This makes no sense.

I'm also a little preturbed with Gerber because after stocking up on a cornacopia of mixed fruit purees, I happened to notice the little recycle sign seven on the baby food container. This usually means that the plastic in question is BPA. A couple of weeks ago we went BPA free over here, so it upsets me to see that little seven on the baby food containers. My research (a.k.a. googling crap on the internet) reveals that there is no BPA in the containers. Unfortunately, the plastic is made up largely of styrofoam, which isn't that great either. From now on, I'm going to go with the jarred food. I'm really considering making my own baby food at this point. The only question in my mind is how to store it.

Gawd. I had no idea I was such a hippie.