Saturday, November 22, 2008

Serendipity

I think it goes without saying that the world is an interesting place. Things happen that you never, ever expect. Case in point would be the last two days.

As most good stories start these days, mine starts with, "so I was on Facebook." I was actually checking on my sorority alumni group when I noticed that a guy I had dated in high school had joined the group, "Moms of Kids With Developmental Delays." Well, that caught my attention for a number of reasons. First of all, he's no mom, and second of all, he doesn't have any kids. I suspected it was some kind of joke and not a cool one, so I decided to check it out. I was fully ready to be a complete bitch if this was some body's idea of funny.

Well, turns out his cousin started the group and he joined to show support. Her son has an as-of-yet-un-diagnosed condition that has caused developmental delay and hearing loss. They think it must be genetic since he's had a clear MRI and CT scan.

She and I chatted on Facebook this evening. Turns out she remembers me from when I dated her cousin (Lord help us all), and is hoping to move to my area soon. We've got the good public schools here. Actually, that's why I live where I do--the good public schools. So, I may have found a mom-friend who's in a similar situation.

How weird is that?

PS: I seem to remember that there was a family here on the net that had two children with genetic cerebral palsy. They also had one neuro-typical kid. Anybody know what blog I'm talking about? I'd love to share it with this girl since she's in the throws of genetic testing and I've really got no info to share on that one.