Monday, November 17, 2008

Revelations

A few posts ago I was wondering about having other mommy friends. Were they out there? Would I be able to find someone who wasn't worried about Charlie's disabilities?

This weekend I had a bit of a revelation. I was visited by someone I've been friends with for about six years now. She's a professional who does a job that few women ever dare to. She's cool, and fun, and also a complete partner in crime if you need to do some shoe shopping.

She also just adored Charlie. She held him, talked to him, and even helped me when I wanted to do some walking practice. She didn't flinch when I asked her to carry Charlie's special seat into a restaurant because he can't do the standard high chair.

Last week, my college buddy the PhD was the same way.

Thing is, your true friends are your true friends and no amount of disabled child is going to get in the way of that. They cheer you on; they cheer you up. They are interested and insightful. They are the same fabulous women that they've always been. Babies or no, my friends are the cream of the crop and I've been delighted to re-discover this in recent days.

I'm pretty lucky.