Monday, January 21, 2008

Day Three (of Twenty-Eight)

What She Wore: blue jeans; tennis shoes; purple LSU sweat shirt; gray Hornets, long-sleeve tee. I am representin' Louisiana today (apparently).

Well, people have expressed a little interest in my house work, so I thought I'd share. So far, we've painted the main areas and scraped the ceiling in the front room. The last time I had a picture of the house up I showed the view from the front door. Now, I'll give you the same view with the new paint, furniture, etc.



I'll tell you a little bit about what you're seeing. The secretary (desk) belonged to my great-grandparents. It was a rickety piece of junk, but I couldn't bear to part with it because it has a sticker on the back from the company that made it. It's was a local New Orleans company that's now out-of-business. Luckily, it got destroyed during one of our moves and the Air Force paid to have it completely re-done. It's gorgeous now.

On top, there's a painting that I bought at a local art gallery. It's called Dance With Me I and was done by a painter named Jim Browning who's based around Nashville Tennessee. My husband and I really like art. Other people have electronics--we have art.


Also on top of the secretary is a statue called The Tree of Life which is carved out of ebony. My husband's family bought it when they traveled to Kenya when he was in grade school. There was a whole divorce/new wife doesn't like reminders of the new wife thing and many of the treasures from my husband's childhood were gathering dust in his father's attic. He reclaimed many of them and you'll see them scattered around our house.

On the bottom of the secretary you can see a gold bowl made and painted by a local artist. It was a gift to us when we got engaged from one of my dad's associates. He had good taste.



Next up for this area, I need to buy a rug for inside the front door. I'd also like a new light fixture. Right now, I'll have to make do with what I have, but I'd really like to replace this at some point.


Kind of blah, don't you think? For now, I'll have to satisfy my light fixture craving by going to http://www.lampsplus.com/ a GREAT site.