Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009

I found this over at She Likes Purple so I'm doing it too!

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?

Well, I never sold my art before 2009 and never had my own business before, so there's that and that's actually pretty cool.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?

I don't think I made any resolutions last year. We were fresh off a hospital stay so I'm pretty sure I was just glad to be home. I've got some resolutions, I call them goals, for next year and I think its possible I'll complete them.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No. Apparently everyone was waiting for 2010.

4. Did someone close to you die?

Yes. My grandfather died in January and while it was expected, it still sucked.

5. What countries did you visit?

None--unless you count Texas, which some people might.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you didn't have in 2009?

A much neater office, a smaller belly, and a lot more patience.

7. What dates from 2009 will be etched in your memory and why?

I've never been a date kind of girl. I've been known to forget my husband's birthday. I'm that bad.

8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?

Getting gutsy about my art work. Still have a long ways to go on that one, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not getting more gutsy about the art thing. Being a complete wench about my "schedule."

10. Did you suffer illness of injury?

Does a colonoscopy count? I'm thinking no, but that stuff they make you drink before the colonoscopy? Borderline assault. Also, I think my pride was a tad hurt when the girls at the pharmacy seemed to be smirking as they handed over the jug o' hell.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My camera, although I still don't know how to use it. I'm picturing years of happy photos with that bad boy.

12. Who's behavior merited celebration?

The Saints. Totally. Spending way too much of my childhood watching them lose has made this season even sweeter. Plus, it's bringing attention to my favorite city for something other than Katrina because seriously, we are so much more than that.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

I've got nothing for this one. I generally try to see the good in people even when it's a little tough.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Doctors appointments and therapy bills. Really, I'm fine with that. I just think of Charlie as the luxury vehicle of kids. Most people have a Chevy--we've got a Lexus.


15. What did you get really, really excited about?

One of the best parts of this year has been meeting so many different amazing people from this little blog. Really. I live a small life in a small town and it blows me away the way this here Internet allows me to connect to so many different types of people.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

So hard to say, but I'm guessing "Party in the USA."

17. Compared to this time last year, are you skinnier or fatter? richer or poorer? happier or sadder?

According to the scale, my weight is unchanged, but my belly sure seems flabby these day. Perhaps some sit-ups are in order.

Definitely happier. Definitely.

Richer? I think so. Hubby's new job has helped get us back in the black.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Gone to the library. I'm just discovering how much money I can save by going there. Fantabulous.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Sat around waiting for my husband to come home. I love my husband, but he works a lot and I really had to come to terms with the fact that he's not coming home at 5:30. Once I realized that, I got a LOT happier.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

The same way we always do. Lunch with my parents and dinner with my husband father and step-mother. Not terribly exciting stuff.

21. Did you fall in love with 2009?

Nope. Not my favorite year. Seemed to me there was a lot of death and divorce, which aren't my favorites.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Bones or the Gilmore Girls both of which I discovered via Netflix. I'm enjoying 24, but I'm only just starting season three, so we'll see how it works out.

23. What was the best book you read?

I'm enjoying the Gaslight Mystery series by Victoria Thompson. There's a little romance, a lot of interesting historical stuff, and even a disabled kid in the back story--what more could you ask for?

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Listening to live brass band music. So much fun and you can dance! too.









26. What did you want and get?

I have only one word: iphone

27. What did you want and not get?

Our annual beach trip. Just too much going down this year between hubby's new job and BIL's move to Wisconsin.

28. What was your favorite film of 2009?

I saw exactly one movie in theaters in 2009--Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--so I'm gonna go with that one.

29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

I was driving to Plano, Texas with my mom and dad. I turned 31 which for some reason felt a whole lot older than 30--it's like I'm aging at warp speed.

30. What one thing would have improved your year immeasurably?

Can't think of anything other than that trip to the beach.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2009?

2009 was the year of HIDE THE MUFFIN TOP. I wish I was more profound than that, but I'm not.

32. What kept you sane?

The blog. My paints. Other people's blogs.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

The health care thing. I agree that the system is broken, but the changes scare me a lot too.

34. Who did you miss?


35. Who was the best new person you met?

Probably Charlie's Feldenkrais practitioner--we see her a lot and she's lovely and just cares about Charlie so much.

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

I summed up a bunch here. Other than that, I think watching so many people getting divorced showed me that it's not about who's happier or who loves each other more, but about who is willing to WORK at being married every single day. Nobody wakes up every day with birds chirping outside of their window--some days you gotta hash out the yucky feelings, recommit to each other, and figure out how to overcome what's bothering you.


37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


I think I'm gonna pick one for next year instead. Next year, I'm living by the motto:

"If you do it at all, you better do it right."

--Cowboy Mouth

My MIL took this picture. He's looking at her like, "you put me in this stupid hat, and now you're taking my picture? Not cool."