Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Fin

There's been something going on in my personal life and I haven't mentioned it because I haven't known how to begin or what to say or how to respect all the parties involved. But things are pretty much wrapping up and I guess it's OK to say something now.

My BIL and SIL are getting a divorce.

I know it's not a BIG deal. They're both young, there are no kids, and they'll both be able to go on their separate ways with almost no aggravation. They were due for a move to The Great North so my husband's brother will head on alone and his wife (ex-wife?) will do whatever it is she wants to.

The thing is, we were friends. The SIL and I. We hung out, went shopping, took pictures. We painted, I bounced business ideas off of her.


And now she's gone.

I was, of course, upset to hear it, but what can you do? I sent her an e-mail expressing the fact that the divorce didn't mean the end of our friendship and she didn't respond. So I left it at that. I mean, these things happen, right? It's not like it happened TO ME. I'm just an innocent bystander really.


Today the BIL came to today with bags and boxes of things from his old apartment. Tomorrow he drives off to the The Great North. As he was un-loading everything he handed me a plastic bag with a V-tech toy and some clothes in size 24 months. He said, "this stuff is for Charlie's birthday." That's when it hit me--that sad little plastic bag. She was always the one to take care of things like birthday cards and presents. A little note to cheer you up.

And now she's gone.


I know that I'll be fine. I think my BIL will be fine. But that' s doesn't mean that I don't miss her.