Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jinx

Have you ever had that feeling. . . you know, where if you talk about something then it might not happen?

Well, I haven't said anything because I don't want to jinx it, but I think Charlie is talking.

I know what you're thinking? Big honkin' revelation, right? First of all, he's two, he should be talking, and second of all, I said "think." Clearly it's a little early to be calling the Associated Press.

So here's the deal: When Charlie watches TV, if he thinks no one is around, he talks to the TV. At first it was just sounds: buhbuhbuh when they were saying banana and atatat when they were saying cat. Keep in mind, he NEVER does it if he think you're around, but if you're standing behind him, or if you --and this is a completely hypothetical example--slip into the other room to update Twitter, then he starts up.

And now it's starting to sound like actual words.

The other day I was on the floor painting (who needs a studio when you have faux-wood floors?)when I distinctly heard what sounded like wawer. I looked at the TV and sure enough, they were on water. Two days ago, while working with his Feldenkrias lady, she asked him to say her name, and he did! Completely blew me away. I've also heard what I think was apple and I love you. Both times he was repeating something someone else said. Both times he was talking to someone that wasn't me.

I don't know if he's got performance anxiety or what, but I still think it's a good thing. If he wants to practice on the TV for a while, fine. I'm such a chatterbox, he probably talks to the TV because it lets him get a word in once and a while. Side note: Another special needs mommy called me the other day and we talked for almost an hour. Seriously, I need somebody to shut me up. She's just lucky it wasn't Happy Hour--we might still be talking. Gah!

Anyway, I'm just excited that he's starting to make meaningful sounds. I'm not crazy (well, I am crazy, but for completely different reasons); I know we have a long way to go with communication, but this is progress and I love me some progress!