Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Up Next: Falling Down in Front of a Large Group of People

I've already established Charlie's love of rap music.



Well, I'm pretty liberal in what I let him listen to. I'm not a huge fan of censorship when it comes to literature, so I try to not go too parental advisory with music either. Despite what my Dad says, I think all music is an art form and while some is clearly executed better than others, that doesn't mean that we should restrict it.



I have my limits, though. I try to only download the radio versions of songs--I avoid profanity and blatant sexual references, but I try not to edit based on innuendo. That' s why my kid can listen to Lollipop but I'm not comfortable with Blame it on the Alcohol. One dances all around it and the other just comes right out and says it. While we're on the subject, how is it possible that Birthday Sex is a song that plays during the lunch hour? And have you listened to the lyrics? It's your birthday, here's some sex? How 'bout you get me some flowers and take me out to dinner, mmkay?

So there's this song called Gigolo. I didn't download it, but it came on one of those NOW Cd's I bought several years ago. I don't let Charlie listen to the whole song, but he really likes the beginning with its flute-like melody, so I let him listen to that part and then skip on. Besides, I've tried listening to the lyrics, I've even read them on the Internet and they are completely unintelligible--and this is coming from a person who taught special ed for five years.

So today we're at the pediatrician's office and Charlie is whining whining whining. Apparently Ice Age isn't his thing. So I reach in my purse, grab my iPod and let him start listening just to keep the peace.

You can see where I'm going with this, right?

He makes it through weigh-in and the nurse's exam with no problems. When the doctor comes in, though, he starts whining again. I pick up the iPod to see what he's listening to--he'll often whine when he wants me to change the song. Well, he's whining 'cause it's playing Gigolo and that's not a song that he listens to. As I'm changing it, though, his pediatrician exclaims, "Does that say Gigolo?"

Ummmmm, yeah.

Later today I'll be sending out invites to my funeral because I'm pretty sure I died of embarrassment right then and there.