Sunday, May 17, 2009

More Randomness

We're back from Plano and I've gone through my usual stages of ABR--at first, I go to these things and I am simply OVERWHELMED by the whole thing. I mean, if I'm being honest with myself, I may use the words "special needs" and "disabled," but in my mind Charlie is just Charlie. The way he acts and behaves is the epitome of normal and I only see his differences in comparison to other children. To go to ABR is to confront disability head-on. There are older children there who are clearly disabled and there's all the equipment, and you can't deny that all the children involved are, in fact, special. It's like reality hitting you in the face a little.

So, I get a little discouraged.

But then, as I head home, I start thinking about all of the the things I will be working on with Charlie and I get EXCITED. I mean, I am hot-diggity-dog excited to be working on the underside of his jaw. You know that turkey neck part? Well, we're going to be working on making Charlie's less turkey-like. Supposedly this will help with speech and eating. How cool!?! Charlie seems to eat OK, but helping is good and he could definitely use some help in the speech department.

So, now I'm jazzed. I'm ready to get moving and start working on Charlie again. Woo hoo!