Thursday, October 2, 2008

Every Day Life

So, three houseguests and two head colds later, I'm starting to get back on track. Yippee!

Charlie met his new speech therapist today. The woman is HIGH energy. She's probably in her forties and has a son with autism who lives in a residential treatment facility. I'm not gonna lie, she may be my new hero. She's upbeat and asks tons of questions and just put me in a good mood. She's clearly good at her job and picked up on some things that no one else has even mentioned.

Charlie was a complete show-off. He didn't feel like commando crawling, but he did show his mad skillz with his tool box. He revealed a hidden toy, played peek-a-boo, and clapped at all the right places during "If You're Happy and You Know It." To be fair, only one hand opens when he claps, but that's fine by me. He made choices, signed "more," and showed that he knew how to work a variety of toys. It was a good day.

The therapist would like to work on increasing tongue movement and also on strenghthening his lower lip. She also gave us two new signs to work on. She seemed to feel that he was able enough to do more signs, so we should work on that first. Our new signs are "give me" and "eat." I think this is going to be a good match for Charlie.

In other news, Charlie will (hopefully) get his first go at practicing walking tomorrow. The PT had said that we could try the clinic's walkable, so I'm hoping that we will. We have also ordered Charlie a pair of squeaky shoes in the hopes that this will encourage his to make the stepping motion. I ordered this pair since it's warm here most of the year.

There's more, but that's the most pressing stuff. Have a good weekend.