Monday, October 6, 2008

Can You Love Jesus and Vote Democrat?

There's an election on the horizon and you may have noticed a few people talking about it.

I feel like I need to address something that isn't being adequately addressed by people--maybe I don't read the right blogs, but I think that it's important to weigh in on this particular issue.

There's been a trend in recent years where those people who hold their religion in high regard seem to feel that they must vote Republican. Somehow, the Republicans have cast themselves in the role of the party of the Christians. Sure, the Democrats go to church and all, but the Republicans are the party of the Evangelicals, the born-agains, the Fundamentalists, and the Charismatics.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to vote. I just want to say that religion and politics don't mix. Please don't think that where you go to church should determine how you vote. You can vote however you like and I'd like to tell you why.

First, let me address what i think are the biggest reasons many Christians feel it is imperative that they vote Republican: gay marriage and abortion. Those are some pretty big issues. How could a Christian in good conscious vote for a candidate who doesn't oppose both? Here's what I think: George Bush was the Christian man's candidate. He opposes abortion and gay marriage. As we are wrapping up George's reign, both of these things are still legal. Despite Christians going out and voting specifically on these issues, they still remain sanctioned by our government. Voting is not going to change things. If you feel passionately about these issues than I recommend giving your time to the cause through prayer. I've seen prayer do far more than politicians in my limited amount of time on this planet.

People argue that abortion is murder and I can't really disagree. The war in Iraq is also murder. Innocent Iraqis are dying by the truckload and so are American soldiers. Sources estimate that around four thousand people have already died in the war. Please don't think that I am trying to disrespect American soldiers. I have nothing but respect for the people who put their lives on the line for our way of life. I have two friends in Iraq currently and my husband served five years in the United States Air Force. They are defending their own lives and the lives of their comrades. Unfortunately, however, there's a reason why they are flown over to another country and forced to do that.

Maybe this isn't enough of an argument. I'd also like to point out that one of the biggest insults hurled at the Democratic party is the phrase, "bleeding heart liberal." What exactly is a bleeding heart? A bleeding heart, by definition, is "someone who is excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be exploited or underprivileged." You know who else could be described as a bleeding heart? Jesus. That bleeding heart business means giving money to the poor and the underprivileged. The Republican party has been dedicated to giving our money back to us, but also to Halliburton, text book companies, and now the financial industry all while denying things like basic health care to underprivileged children.

I'm not saying that you should vote for Obama. Truthfully, I'm not in love with either of the big parties these days. I just want to point out that loving Jesus doesn't mean that HAVE to vote Republican. It doesn't make you a bad Christian. I think it's time we separated our politics and our faith--our faith deserves better than that.

I wrote this and took a nap, and when I woke up I realized I needed to add something. I don't want it to seem like I think the Democratic party is the answer. In 2004 they were also in favor of the war in Iraq. Rather I want to say that the issue isn't black and white and is more complex than that.