Sunday, July 6, 2008

Stupid Stress

My MIL is one of those all-natural, energy-healer type of people She's a reiki master, but she's also into nutrition, and whatever else. Basically, she's one of those people who doesn't use toothpaste, doesn't use deodorant, won't touch sun screen, and spends all her discretionary income on vitamins.

I don't have a big problem with this stuff. My opinion on these things has always been to approach them with an open mind. I let her start giving Charlie a supplement and we saw some real improvement after that. I let her energy friends clense his chakras and whatnot. I'll play her subliminal healing tapes while Charlie naps.

Generally, these things are just complementary and I can see no real reason not to do them. I always carefully read all the negative literature on an alternative treatment to cover my bases.

Well, things have taken a turn and it's stressing me out.

My MIL had a friend over one day last week while she was babysitting. They discussed Charlie's issues and things spiraled from there.

The friend suggested that perhaps Charlie's physical ailments are the result of his medications or something else in his enviroment. They googled phenobarb and read the side-effects and within a number of minutes it was the boogy man.

The friend, who I don't know, but am suddenly not fond of, put my MIL onto this doctor in Baton Rouge. Her name is Dr. Stephanie Cave and she wrote a book a while back that talked about the possible link between autism and vaccines. She's a rock-star in the autism world and it takes about nine months to get seen by her. She treats all kind of ailments and her claim to fame is identifying enviromental factors that may not be in sync wiht your child's body. My MIL asked if I would be willing to take Charlie to see Dr. Cave if she paid for the visit. I figured, why not? Nine months is a long time and by then my MIL would have probably found something else to be excited about.

So, while I was on vacation my MIL called to schedule an appointment. She carefully read the medical history that I had typed out in case of emergencies, and completely bowled over the phone operator. Long story short, we'll be seeing Dr. Cave on Wednesday.

I don't know why, but this is causing me extreme stress. I can't figure it out, but I have literally been having scary dreams about this visit. I know I don't have to do anything she asks and I know that it's just ONE visit and I never have to go back. Maybe I'm worried that she's going to ask me to do more than I'm willing. Maybe I'm worried she's going to suggest a lot of alternative stuff that will make Charlie's regular doctors nuts. I don't know why I'm having such a freak-out here.

Sigh.