Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Try to Avoid This Stuff--or do I?

I live in a small town. I've mentioned that before.


The town has really been putting a lot of energy into rejuvenation and and upgrades. They've done some really great stuff and I've been thrilled at all the improvements.


Over the Fourth of July weekend, a huge project to put in a new playground at the local park was completed. A company designed it, but residents of the town actually built it.


Last weekend the Hub and I went to check it out and I was thrilled to see that at least one of the structures had ramping, which meant it could be used by a child with a walker or in a wheelchair. Terrific, right? Accessible fun right here in town.


Well, right after that, without warning, the town closed the road that leads through the park, to the playground.


How flippin' frustrating! It is a VERY long walk to the playground. I sent an e-mail to the town Alderman asking what if any provisions were going to be made for disabled residents to access the play ground. I received a form letter back saying that even with the closure there would be plenty of parking. That's not even what I asked.


I posted about it on a the a bulletin board for our town and several people began talking about how people need to "get off their fat asses and walk." It is so difficult to explain to some people that not everyone CAN walk that far.


It really isn't about Charlie--we're a long way from walking. I just think it's a shame that the park was actually built with accessible equipment and now it's hard to get to.


I went and took pictures of the walk.
Here's the first leg:
Here's the second:

The playground is about where that red truck is. That's where you used to be able to park. Now, not so much. Notice the sidewalk--cracked completely. To the left is where the road used to be, but they're ripping it up as we speak.

I just don't get it. They make an accessible playground and then they make it inaccessible.