Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Interests Meet

I don't spend a lot of time discussing my art on this blog, but I think anyone who reads here regularly has probably picked up on the fact that I like to paint. I have a small business, but Charlie is my number one priority and sometimes the art stuff has to take the back seat. Those are the choices you make.

I'm happy that in the next few days I'll be working on a project that combines my love of art with my new-found experience with the disabled.



A fellow blogger has asked me to do a piece of art for her son's new room--he's an adult living in a long-term care facility. Like any mom, she wants the place to look nice and she's enlisted me to help.

I'm really excited about this. I'm planning on doing something that represents his local area since that is pretty much my thing--I like to paint things that are more than just pretty--I like a little meaning as well.

I know he likes bright colors, so I want to include that, but I don't want it to appear too childish--he is an adult. Like I told my husband, I want a Pixar film and not an episode of Barney. His mother also told me that he likes to run his hand along things, so I'm hoping to include a lot of texture in the piece.

So, bright colors, texture, and something with a little meaning. I'm psyched--or some other dorky eighties term that denotes excitement



In other art/craft related news, our very own Ellen is looking for contributors for a project she's doing with Nickelodeon. The project is for a section of the Nick website known as Parents' Connect and it will be a holiday countdown. She's looking for easy craft projects that young children can do with their parents. These should be craft projects that can be done with a child under six years of age. It could be a new project or something you've already covered on your blog. Basically, you write a quick how-to and then snap some pictures of the project in process. She's looking for stuff like:
  • Decorations
  • Cards
  • Gifts
  • Stockings
  • Wrapping paper
  • Green/eco-friendly holiday fun

And she means all the winter holidays--not just Christmas, so no worries if your family celebrates Kwanzaa instead of Christmas. If you're interested, please let Ellen know--her e-mail address is lovethatmax [at] gmail [dot] com. Your article will include a link back to your home blog and Nick gets about five million visitors a month.

Pictures taken at a Zoo 2 U party.