Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Santa Clause

I made a decision ages ago that I didn't think was a big deal at all.

I decided that I wasn't going to tell my child about Santa Claus.

I think Santa Claus is nice and all, but the idea of the whole thing just doesn't appeal to me. I am NOT being judgemental about the bazillion people who love Santa Claus. I'm just not comfortable lying to my child and I hate to think about the day of disappointment where he discovers that Santa isn't real.

I didn't make a big announcement about the whole Santa Claus thing and I was a little surprised that it came up, but it did. The conversation started with everyone wanting to know why I wasn't doing Santa Claus and quickly devolved into these sad stories about the moment when everyone discovered he wasn't real. It's strange--people love the idea of Santa Claus, but finding out he isn't real is a pretty tough moment.

So, I'm gonna skip it. I'm going to TRY to focus on God's gift to humanity, doing for others, and all that. I can see about a million ways that this plan will go awry, but it's what I'm sticking with for now!