Monday, September 8, 2008

Charlie Update

So last week Charlie had his one year evaluation with Early Steps. That's the state-sponsored early intervention program. It kind of took me by surprise. I mean, I knew it was coming, but the evaluator just tagged along to one of his regular appointments, so it was in the back of my mind and then BOOM she was here with her little case and her checklists. To add to the stress, one of my out-of-town guest arrived right in the middle of the whole thing.

I haven't gotten the results yet, but a novice could see that Charlie is behind. The evaluation just helps you make a new set of goals. They'll say "he's at eight months in gross-motor" and you can build from there.

I was pleased to see that he could do some things that the evaluator didn't expect. Also, his vision has improved by leaps and bounds. She was thrilled to see him tracking a light source on both sides. His vision is still slow--if something moves too fast then he can't track it--but he's definitely using it.

When the evaluator last saw Charlie he was three months old and he could do almost nothing physically. Now, he picks up his head while on his stomach, rolls over, prop sits, rakes in objects with his hands, picks up toys, and reaches. This is wonderful for my mommy-heart because it means that he can play. He is able to play with toys, pick them up, manipulate them. Small potatoes in most homes, but we don't take anything for granted in this house. He's getting stronger and he's also showing signs that he's bored with the status quo. I'm going to have to start coming up with some new activities.

The evaluation also pointed out some areas where I could make some changes. Charlie shows absolutely no knowledge of names. The OT reported that with his level of intelligence and awareness he should know his name by now. Since he knows words like "up" and "sit" and "stand" then he probably should know his own name. I think the problem in that my family is the nickname family. The kid has a thousand nicknames and they're constantly changing: Bean, Bambino, Bino, Chaz, Munchkin, Munchie, Peanut, Carlito. Is it any wonder he's unsure? So, the big assignment for now is to work on using only "Charlie" as his moniker. Tough assignment, but I know we can do it!

I won't get the official results til next week, but they aren't critical. I know we're behind and this will just help us create new goals. In general, I am happy to report that Charlie is growing and learning at his own pace. As far as I'm concerned, if he's progressing than I'm happy.

I wanted to post pictures, but I haven't had a chance to take any. I promise to work on that!