Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day Seventeen

What She Wore: black, draw-string capris; white tee that reads, "San Francisco, California"; I don't know what shoes, but I can bet I'll end up wearing those stupid black strappy sandals again.

I don't have much to say, so I'll answer a question that Antonella asked. She asked if the stretches we do with Charlie will reduce his tightness. It's a good question. For the most part, the stretches are to try to prevent further tightness. Right now, I am seeing some reduction in the tightness, but I think that's mainly since we've never really stretched him much before. Unfortunately, as Charlie gets older, and grows, those hamstrings will likely get tighter and tighter. That's why an oral muscle relaxer will probably come into play or maybe a shot of botox when he gets older. Many kids with cerebral palsy are "toe-walkers," and it takes braces and/or physical therapy to get them to walk correctly.

At this time, we are very fortunate--our main issue is hamstrings. There is some extremely mild involvement in his groin and triceps. So little, however, that the doctor doesn't even think stretching is needed. As for what the future holds, who knows, but we try to stay hopeful. Doctor after doctor have commented on how good he looks, and I can't help but think that that's worth something.