Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Two Down

Well, I can check physiatry off the list. The appointment went well.

Charlie isn't any tighter anywhere and hasn't lost any range of motion in the last six months. This is a good thing because he is having a bit of a growth spurt and I was worried that he was tightening up in the hamstrings.

The doctor said that I was fine with cutting out milk and urged me to try soy milk. He said that if he's allergic to soy milk then he'll probably throw that up too and we'll know. He said we could do allergy testing if we wanted, but he didn't recommend it since we seemed to know the source of Charlie's issues.

I told him about ABR and he was fine with it. He actually said that anyone who does what he does needs to be comfortable with alternative therapies. So many parents of special needs kids pursue alternatives. He also said that any doctor who puts up roadblocks isn't a very good doctor. All in all, that's as good a response as I could hope for.

He said to keep doing what we're doing and to come back in six months for hip x-rays. He also said that things would "ramp up" when Charlie turned three. I don't know what the heck that means--any more therapy and I think we'll both go nuts.

So, the two big appointments went well, and the appointment tomorrow with cardiology should be uneventful. I have to admit that I always feel deflated after these things. Charlie is doing SO well, and he looks especially great if you think about all he's been through. Few people survive the kind of brain damage he's had, and fewer still thrive. Even so, I wonder and worry and these visits only exacerbates these emotions. I am so excited about what he CAN do, but I realize that he is still behind. Is it OK to be a little blue even though things are really, really good?