Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Right Now

I woke up this morning in panic.

Charlie is two years and seven months old. He'll be three in five months and he'll be in school two months after that.

I have no idea where the time has gone. None.




With a special needs child, I think that birthdays, half-birthdays, hell, Mondays, can remind you that time is moving swiftly while your child is taking their sweet time meeting milestones. You can get a little panicky thinking about the one-kajillion things they still have to learn.


But I wanted this year to be about celebrating rather than worrying. I've done enough worrying for several small children and it's time to work on using my energy elsewhere.


So, instead, I'm working on my celebrating.



I'm celebrating that Charlie took seven step in his gait trainer. True, all seven were with the right foot, but lefty will figure it out eventually.

I'm celebrating that he used Tina the Talker for 45 minutes yesterday--even telling us yes and no in a purposeful way.

And I'm celebrating that he said "uck" when we were singing about ducks in Old McDonald.



This way is better, I'm sure of it.

I think this fortune cookie might be code for "you've got no money in your wallet."