Thursday, January 28, 2010

Finished Work

A while back I told you all about a piece of art I was creating for a young man who lives in a residential facility. I don't want to over-step, but I think it's accurate to say that he has had some issues in cerebral development, so while he is old in age, he is young at heart.


I really stepped out on a limb with this piece--it's larger than I usually do and it's also very different in terms of colors and materials. I went with BRIGHT colors because I wanted it to appeal to all ages. I didn't want it to be too cartoonish, though, so I did have to get rid of a Moose I'd painted that my Hubby said looked like Bullwinkle. (It didn't look like Bullwinkle other than the fact that they are both Mooses--Meece? What's the plural of Moose?)


His mom also told me that he loved to run his hands along things to see how they feel. This made me determined to add texture to the painting. You can feel the waves, and the blueberries and lobster have been made three-dimensional with paper mache.


Like I said, very different than my usual stuff, but good for stretching me and also good for my heart--making this piece for a young man in special circumstances.


Tomorrow I promise to tell you all about how I almost got arrested. . .