Monday, January 18, 2010

The Next Phase





It takes a long time to get over the fact that your child has been given a life-altering diagnosis. Really, I think "get over" is the wrong word. It takes a long time to make peace with it. And of course, you have those moments that crop up from time to time--where you compare your child to one the same age. Or when you see pictures of your friend's children.

For the most part, however, I feel peace about where we are. I work several hours a day to give Charlie my version of the best life possible and when my head hits the pillow, I'm usually content with the way things are going.




I'm finding that there are things after the grief stage.


These days I find my mind wandering towards making changes. I see things that are wrong and I want them fixed.



I have no idea where this will lead me, but that is fine. Having Charlie as my child has meant throwing out the rule book and seeing where life takes me--I can only assume that this is the next stage in the journey.