Thursday, January 21, 2010

Imposter Syndrome

In two weeks I'll be packing up my stuff and heading to Nashville, TN to attend Blissdom '10. I don't think I even left a link last time, but for those of you who don't know, Blissdom is a blogging conference. You can learn about improving your writing, finding readers, putting ads on your blog, and a whole bunch of other things that are v-e-r-y interesting to a gal like me. You know, one of those people who spends too much time on the computer.

I started blogging in November of 2005. A link at the top of my hotmail led me to my very first blog and I thought, "I could do that." So I did. At that point it really was a sort-of online journal--no one was reading it! I wrote about something I saw on TV, a book I was reading, or my New Year's resolutions. A few months later, my husband deployed to the Middle East and I found myself on the computer a LOT. People started leaving me comments, I was commenting on their spaces and before I knew it, I was hooked. Hubby came home to a real-life Blog Addict.

I've seen a lot of blogs in that time. Most people lose interest after a while. Others promote the hell out themselves, put up a banner, buy a domain name, and really take the 'net by storm.

I've always been in between.

I've kept at it.

I don't have my own domain. I don't have a fancy banner. I'm choosy about who I tell about Bird on The Street.

And so I'm a little nervous to be going to a conference full of Women Who Blog.

I guess I'll just have to go and see. Find out about this crazy world that I've been skirting for all these years. I may find out I want to do more or I may decide I'm right where I want to be. At the very least I'll get seven hours in the car and I won't have to compromise with ANYONE about what's playing on the radio. Look out!