Monday, January 4, 2010

Insert Post Here

So. . . . I guess maybe putting a post right here would be a good idea. Right now, though, as I stare at this white space, I wonder what it is I talk about here. Anyone remember?







There has been so much going on around here that I am literally unable to construct any meaningful thought. I have dreams a night about failed relationships that are interrupted by Jack Bauer and if we don't get out of there soon we'll miss PT.






You get the picture.





Tomorrow will be me and Hubby's eight year wedding anniversary. We dated for three and a half years before that, so we've been a team for what feels like a good long while now. Not forever or anything, but we're definitely past the "he's so dreamy" phase.





There's been a lot of divorce around us lately and it really got me wondering about what it takes to go the distance. I mean, Lord knows it isn't always perfect around here. Also, you always hear about how couples with special needs children are even more likely to split and that just makes you even jumpier.





I've come to only one conclusion on this topic and you can ignore me if you like because we all know that eight years does not a marriage expert make.





In my opinion, the couples who make it work are the ones where both parties are just really committed to the idea of marriage. You have to work on it. You have to talk about it. You have to stay up late some nights hashing out ways to make it work when it feels broken. You have to be committed to the idea of forever. And you have to do these things over and over again.





Hubby and I have our rough patches, but in the end we want to be with each other. I don't think long-lasting marriages are about perfect partners, but rather about dedicated ones. It's not like we're flawless beings, but instead just two people who accept the other and are glad to have them in our lives.

Besides, if it didn't work out I'd have to try dating again and that, my friends, is a deal breaker.


Pictures of Hubby sealing up a piece of architectural salvage I want to hang in our house.