Saturday, April 3, 2010

Teacher in in Heels: Part Three

College was good for me.


I will always be so thankful to my parents for sheltering me and for giving me the best they could, but that sheltering left me with a lot of insecurities. I was so unsure of myself--I was worried about my "toughness." Would I be able to make it on my own without any help? It wasn't just the insecurities I had about myself either--people are all too willing to forecast your failure oftentimes before you've even begun.


People make a lot of assumptions about who you are.

People assume that if you've been given a lot, then you can't be tough if you need to.

People assume that if you have a lot of things, that you can't have a lot of compassion.

People assume that if you don't know something, that you can't learn it.




I'm happy to say these assumptions are false. I learned a lot of information in college, but I also learned a lot about myself. I learned how to load a dishwasher, wash a load of clothes, and even vacuum although I'm still not fond of any of those tasks.

I also met my husband.

My husband puts a high premium on ideals. He never babies me and never doubts that I could do something. He is one of the few people with whom I feel completely at ease.



I think that many people would like to hear a romantic story about how I met my husband, but the truth is that we went on a date in 1998 and I think we're still on it. It's not a big, grand love story--it's just an enduring one.


So in college, I learned a lot about myself. I also realized that nothing--and I mean nothing--could get me interested in Accounting. I had to change my major if I was ever going to finish college. After carefully studying the catalog, I found that I had a lot of English credits due to to my SAT scores. If I wanted to graduate any time in the near future, I would need to choose between a degree in English or a degree in Education with a concentration in English. Education seemed sensible. Also, I wouldn't have to take foreign language, in which I was terrible.

I also figured that all of those English classes would help me prepare for the LSAT--I mean, it wasn't like I was actually going to become a teacher, right?



Hubby and I on one of our first dates. Look at that skinny arm! I want to give myself a sandwich!