Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Keeping Up

Well, it's always hard to follow up the emotional posts, but here I go with a therapy update.

Yesterday we saw the physical therapist (at home), and she saw major improvement on his stomach, but he wouldn't sit for her at all. I was OK with it though because I had a revelation this week: Charlie will sit. I have no idea when, but I feel certain that he can do it. He has his moments here and there and all we have to do is build on it. Maybe I'm completely naive, but I just KNOW he's going to do it. Anyway, with his new-found tummy-time skills, he's starting to making some crawling movements as well. We'll see if that leads anywhere.

Secondly, we've reached a bit of a snafu with regard to bottles. We were recently told that we no longer needed to thicken his liquids. Charlie did fine with thin liquids. Unfortunately, nobody told Charlie and he doesn't like his milk un-thickened. I'd told Tiffany that I would send her our box of thickener and I had to go out to my husband's car and dig some out because Charlie was refusing to drink his milk thin. I'm going to have to talk to his OT about weaning him off of thickener because cold turkey did not work for us. My husband is big on promises, though, so Tiffany will be getting that box sometime soon.

Finally, although Charlie is a big fan of shouting and screeching, we still aren't seeing any babbling. I am seeing different mouth movements, but no change in sounds so far. His speech therapist "suggested" that we purchase some equipment so we can provide daily stimulation on his mouth muscles. I say "suggested" because they can't tell us to buy anything that isn't readily available in the home. Needless to say, we'll get whatever is suggested, so I've been instructed to order an outside of the mouth massager and an inside of the mouth massager. Has anyone noticed that Charlie gets way more massages than I do?

Tomorrow we see our instructor for the first time in three weeks due to scheduling issues/vacation/ect. I can't wait. I'm hoping that we'll get some new goals from her.

Finally, I've got out-of-town guests coming on Thursday, so I'll probably be a bit scarce until sometime after the big birthday party. I promise to take lots of pictures and update when I can.