Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Slump

Interestingly enough, it me in the slump--not Charlie.

I would say that I strive to present the good side of raising a child with special needs on this blog.

That doesn't mean that I don't have my down days, though. A three day course of steroids has significantly improved Charlie's health, but he's still not 100% and my spirits are flagging a bit. I haven't been able to do near the amount of therapy that I want, and his intellectual program has been sadly neglected. On top of it all is the nagging question in the back of my head. . . "am I doing the right things?". . . "am I wasting valuable time?"

I guess every parent questions what they're doing and why they're doing it--just the way it is.

So I don't leave everyone with a complete downer: Charlie scooped a bite of food with his spoon today and then got it in his mouth. He also attempted another scoop/bite combo, but didn't get deep enough to actually get anything in his bowl. We're a long way from self-feeding with utensils, but he's definitely got the right idea!