Saturday, September 12, 2009

Decided

I've still got a ton to say about education and I promise to continue with all the questions next post, but I just wanted to add a little something.

People who read here regularly know that I've been struggling with what to do about Charlie's epilepsy medication. I suspect that it's making him dopey and I hate that.

Well, I've had a little confirmation recently.

You see, Charlie has FINALLY gained a little weight. He was flat-lined for a long time, but now that he's discovered the greatness of sandwiches, he's put on close to a pound. Please don't misunderstand--the kid eats. And eats. This morning for breakfast he had a bowl of oatmeal, an egg, and a slice of toast. He eats plenty, but he burns a lot too so it's a struggle to get weight on him and keep it on.

Anyway, with this little bumb in weight, I've noticed some personality changes--he's giggly. He'll just be hanging out in his room giggling while he plays. I love that. He's also much more interactive. He catches your eye more often, he smiles in response to things you say, he rolls over to me and tries to pull my hair. He's still scared to death of the lady at chick-fil-a, but he seems really social to me. I can't help but wonder if this isn't his personality breaking through the seizure meds.

We have an appointment for October 7th. I've got to be strong (whimper). I've got to find an alternative to our current situation. I owe it to the giggly Charlie.



And in case you want to see just what he does that burns so many calories, here he is climbing, which is does many, many times a day.