Monday, February 15, 2010

And So It Begins

I live in my own world enough that I am actually proud of Charlie's accomplishments--I'm proud that he can commando crawl, that he feeds himself peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and that he can adjust his headphones with the accuracy of Mariah Carey in the recording studio.

I realize that these aren't as fabulous as talking or walking, but as compared to brain dead, I think they're pretty flippin amazing.

As we begin the process of enrolling Charlie in Early Intervention preschool, however, I realize that I will be forced to accept that the rest of the world might not be as impressed as I am.

Filling out the General Information Sheet has proven to be a bit a problem.

I did OK with stuff like my name, my husband's occupation, and our ages. I started to get a little stumped after that, though.






They gave me half a line to describe "complications during pregnancy." I got a similar amount of space to list Charlie doctors. Even taking up all the available vertical space, I still ended up scribbling in the margin.


The question, "Has your child had any serious illnesses, accidents, or hospitalizations?" I mean, besides birth? Illness? Epilepsy. Hydrocephalus, and Cerebral Palsy aren't really illnesses.


The section on Developmental Milestones was especially humorous. They instructed us to write the age our child first achieved the following milestones: Sat alone, crawled, walked, potty trained.

I just left it blank.


My favorite section was the one on speech.


"When and by whom was your child's speech problem first noticed?"


It would be difficult to know exactly when we first noticed his speech problems as he's never really spoken a word.





And so the next part of the journey begins--school, special education, and all the things that come along with it. I'm not convinced that this is the perfect solution for Charlie, but I am convinced that we need to try it. This is just the first step in getting him enrolled for August. It seems far away, but it will be here before I know it.